Friday, March 18, 2011

Going Within: The Journey Begins

Why Meditate?  I never really asked myself this question.  Somehow I just knew meditation was one of my goals in life.  Meditation is an elusive spiritual goal, with a tricky path to follow.  The path of meditation is not one we walk on with our feet touching the ground.  We locate this path of meditation by taking the journey of going within.

The twists and turns down this inner path has to do with our thinking, our inner dialogue.  Just what are we thinking?  When we ask this question, the process of meditation has begun.  This series on meditation is a journey within for all of us to take together.

There is another question we need to ask ourselves.  Are we thinking life affirming thoughts that encourage us and fill our lives with inspiration?  I know my thoughts aren't always supporting me in this way.  My inner critic has taken me on a very twisted path for most of my life.  I have learned to listen to this inner critic and extend kindness to myself the listener.  I have come to realize that I do not have to believe these thoughts.  I have a choice on how my inner dialogue unfolds.  Remembering the phrase "as a man thinks so he becomes" I feel grounded knowing that I am actively participating in creating my reality.

It is a courageous step to take a deep breath and take the turn within, to watch how our inner dialogue unfolds.  We embark on this work of listening and watching our thoughts with and open heart and a sense of curiosity.  We become brave explores in our own undiscovered world with a new understanding that we can change our thoughts and change our world.

~ Elizabeth Botta Brandes

No comments:

Post a Comment