Wednesday, March 16, 2011

How Can We Help?

Everyone is watching as one of the world's worst natural disasters unfold before our eyes.  The tragedy has become complicated by man-made forces now beyond our control.  The only thing that could be more disastrous is if our fellow human beings were oblivious to one another's suffering.  I trust deep in my heart that our collective energy can make a difference.

It's easy to watch our news channels.  No matter what is unfolding in Japan or anywhere else in the world, focusing on the negative will not help anyone.  I have been talking to many people who are feeling fearful and powerless.  Most people are feeling uncertain as to how they can help.  First we must help ourselves.  How are we feeling about the events that are happening?   I have studied EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) and have found it extremely helpful not only for people I counsel but for myself as well.

In EFT they stress that we can only give out what we feel inside.  If we are anxious, stressed and worried, that is what we will pass along.  It will begin to seep into our lives and effect the world around us.  If we can still feel peace and love in a crisis that is when we become leaders and make a difference.  Our emotions have a greater impact on the world then we could ever imagine.  We can replace our fear with love...loving and caring for ourselves.  How can we do this?  The following are affirmations to repeat which will help us to center and make a choice in the way we want to feel.  In EFT, which is a form a psychological acupressure, we also tap on certain body points.  Just saying the affirmations without the tapping will also bring a shift in our consciousness.  You may want to consider learning the points at another time.

Start by taking 3 deep breaths...

Repeat the following phrases (you can read them from a sheet of paper)...

Love before me
Love behind me
Love at my left
Love at my right
Love above me
Love below me
Love on me
Love in my surroundings
Love to all
Love to the Universe

Peace before me
Peace behind me
Peace at my left
Peace at my right
Peace above me
Peace below me
Peace on me
Peace in my surroundings
Peace to all
Peace to the Universe

Light before me
Light behind me
Light at my left
Light at my right
Light above me
Light below me
Light on me
Light in my surroundings
Light to all
Light to the Universe

Place your hand on your heart and take a deep breath in and out...

Remember that we have a decision to make everyday.  We can either choose to be hypnotized by the fear in the news or take the knowledge of these events to inspire us.  Making a choice to be inspired helps us to create positive changes in our lives and in the world around us.

May all those who survive the quake and its aftermath have speedy recoveries.  May they be brave and resilient, and be strong in overcoming the demise of their loved ones.

May all sentient beings be free from suffering.  May all beings be well and happy.

~ Elizabeth Botta Brandes

No comments:

Post a Comment